Friday, January 20, 2006

To kill the dog, or not to kill the dog...

Lagniappe is definitely getting my attention today.

A few days back I bought a new treadmill as part of my New Years' resolution to get back in better shape and stay there. The problem I have now is that every time I run on it, Lagniappe wants to play. So he comes in with his toys and drops them one by one on the treadmill belt. Now not only do I have to keep a fast pace going, I need to dodge tennis balls, rawhides, kongs and stuffed frogs. Sooner or later I know he's going to trip me up with one of those and then a dog's going to get it but good. I see a chain in the yard with his name on it.

But he redeemed himself later this evening as I was trying to cook dinner.

I'd put a frozen steak in the broiler and I figured it'd take a bit before it was done so I sat down to read my pre-dinner newspaper. A few minutes later thoguh, Lagniappe started to bark and yelp loudly. I looked at him and he wasn't staring out the window like he usually does when something out there has his attention. He's looking at me and running around in a circle and all his hair's up on his neck. I ask him what he wants and he runs to the kitchen doorway and begins barking at the stove. I look in there and the stove is just starting to smoke from my steak burning.

Damn. Now I have a smoke-detecting dog. I guess we'll forget about that chain outside, at least while I'm trying to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment