Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bad, bad dog.

So the little urchins were Trick-or-Treating here a couple of nights back. (Yes, our area did it a bit early.) I had foolishly thought that Lagniappe would cooperate and behave, but apparently I gave Dog Wonder too much credit, because as soon as the first kid came, it all broke loose.

We were sitting in my living room when suddenly a small Luke Skywalker wanna-be appeared on my deck, glowing light saber in hand. As I opened the door to hook him up with some candy, Lagniappe took advantage of the fact that I was on crutches and blew out past me. He began running around the kid and barking at him. Of course I saw the tail wagging and recognized the playful bark, but the kid doesn't know Lagniappe like I do so he was scared, and when the kid reflexively raised his light saber, Lagniappe jumped up and grabbed it because that's fun! Naturally the kid let go of it, and for a second, Lagniappe stood there happily with the glowing light saber in his mouth.

And then Lagniappe spied the kid's mother down on the driveway, also dressed in a costume. He dropped the glowing toy sword and ran down the steps to terrorize her as well. He circled her a few times, barking at her playfully and totally ignoring my orders to return to the deck. Then he saw another band of costumed kids in the street and he rushed them, causing them to scream and scatter. I was getting pretty mad at him now and I think he figured it out because he stopped terrifying them and started to trot back up the driveway. And then he saw the cat.

Now my neighbors are great people but they have about a million cats in their yard. Normally Lagniappe is confined to the deck or his run and has to endure their presence in his yard, but suddenly he was free and there one was on his lawn. He tore after it and it ran for it's life through the hedge and back to my neighbors' place with Lagniappe in pursuit. I couldn't see what was going on over there but all I heard for the next few minutes was his collar jangling, feet running through the leaves and the brush, and cats yowling and climbing trees fast. Finally the neighbor turned on her back porch light and went out to confront Lagniappe.
"You go home!" she ordered, and like a naughty kid who'd just gotten spanked, he hung his head and walked back to my yard and came right up on the porch. I brought him back in, and he went to lay on his perch on the stairs, eyes glowing proudly, as I called the neighbor up to apologize. And we didn't get another trick-or-treater after that. Stupid Halloween dog.

Oh well... More bite-sized Butterfinger bars for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment