Saturday, August 11, 2007

Day #2. Camp Perry

Even though I wasn't registered to shoot this year, I still had to stop by Camp Perry, Ohio to take in a bit of the National Matches.



If nothing else, is was just good to listen to all of the shooting and see several hundred Americans walking around with military rifles, no doubt giving Sarah Brady nightmares but otherwise harming no one. For you see, these are some of the best people in America--the dedicated marksmen (and markschicks) who use these guns to compete while maintaining their readiness for military service should this nation ever need them. (Yes, that's what the old Department of Civilian Marksmanship was set up for in the first place--to train capable civilian shooters with military weapons should they ever be needed for military service.)

In past days I'd spent hundreds (or thousands) of dollars here buying guns and ammunition. But this year money being tight, I bought a coffee mug and went on my way. And I will be back in 2008 as a serious competitor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment