Saturday, November 17, 2007

Why I just cut up my JC Penney credit card

No, it wasn't because of the usurious interest rate. I paid the card off every month so that wasn't a concern. It wasn't even because they screwed up my account and began charging me "late fees" for a pathetically tiny balance that resulted from a charge of something like $1.92 that they mistakenly applied to my card when it was actually at zero balance. Admittedly, the fact that they reported me to the credit bureaus for not paying this $1.92 and the associated late fees, which reached $48.92 before I caught this and called them to figure out WTF was going on did have something to do with it. That was probably the thing that motivated me to cut the card and close the account. But what made me madder than a legless Ethiopian watching a donut roll down a hill--and what made me decide to close the account and blog about it--was the fact that when I called JC Penney customer service to sort this out, the girl who answered the phone made it quite clear to me that they don't care enough about their regular customers to actually try to make amends for errors that they caused which actually harm their customers beyond the point of mere aggravation.

Starting at the beginning, I'd last used my JC Penney card at the Martinsburg, West Virginia store back in July of this year. When the August bill came around, I paid the card off, just as I've done many times before. I paid it off in full and on time and went about my business. I admit that I didn't pay attention to any subsequent bills that JC Penney sent me in the following months. Why should I? I had paid the card off and if I even noticed any mail correspondence from them, I merely assumed that I was just getting statements reflecting that zero balance.

Well I saw one in today's mail and opened it, and was shocked to see a "balance owed" of $48.92. What the hell?! I logged onto their rather user-unfriendly website to see if I'd made a purchase that I didn't remember and saw a history of late charges ($10.00 per month) and finance charges (an extra dollar each month) all apparently stemming from a $1.92 charge applied in August. I know that I didn't buy anything for $1.92 so I called their 800 number. The girl who answered checked the account, confirmed that I'd made no purchases and further confirmed that until the $1.92 has been applied, my account had been at zero balance. She was at a loss as to what the $1.92 was all about or why JC Penney had charged me that odd amount, but she took away all the charges and told me that she would send notice to the credit bureaus telling them that I no longer was in arrears.

Now that was when I hit the ceiling. Without so much as a courtesy phone call, JC Penney has contacted the credit reporting services and reported me as being delinquent for not paying them $1.92 which I never owed in the first place and $47.00 in late fees and finance charges on that $1.92! So my credit rating took a sock in the nose courtesy of JC Penney, and even though they now say that I no longer owe them anything, there's still a black mark on my credit record that any potential future lenders or employers may see and wonder about.

I asked the phone girl to tell me what JC Penney was prepared to do to make that right. She told me that they'd removed the charges and notified the credit bureaus. I told her that that was all very well and fine, but where I come from, if a business makes a mistake and causes harm or inconvenience to a customer, the business usually tries to do something to make the customer happy again. And in this case, I was a very unhappy customer contemplating cutting my JC Penney credit card up.

I could literally feel the indifference in her voice as she replied: "Well that's certainly your right and your choice."

I was a bit surprised to say the least. I figured that with my history of spending money at JC Penney, and with Christmas coming, they'd want to try to throw me a bone to get back into my good graces after screwing up my account and making me have to call and sit on hold and then talk to some gum-popping high-school grad on my dime.
"Well what do you want?" she asked, sounding as if the idea of customer satisfaction was a new concept to her.

"Well you could offer a store credit," I suggested. "How about something like that to make up for this?"

"But we removed the charges and we're taking it off your credit report," she said again, with that exasperated tone in her voice telling me that she felt that even that was a courtesy that I should be grateful for.

"You need to do a bit more than that to make this right if you guys want to see me back in your stores. I mean, you're not the only store around and I can easily do my holiday shopping at Sears or any other store in that mall."

"Well that's your right," the little twit repeated, sounding bored.

"So you don't want to do a single thing more than you have to do by law to fix things with a good customer, right?"

"Well I'm not going to do anything, she snapped back. She was actually getting snarky with me now. "If you like, I can give you a number so you can talk to my manager, but I doubt that she'll do anything for you either."

"Ok, fine," I sighed. "Listen to this." I took my desk scissors and cut the JC Penney card in half right next to the phone. "That was your credit card getting cut and it means that you don't get any more business from me."

"OK, that was your right..." she repeated.

"Yes it was," I told her. But it was your attitude and your pathetic excuse for customer service that made me decide to do it. Keep treating customers like this and it won't be long before you drive enough of us away that you're out of business.

"Is there anything else I can do for you," she asked, sounding seriously annoyed now.

"No," I told her. "Anything else I need, I'll get from Sears." Then I hung up.

I chopped the credit card up a few more snips and reflected that it's this sort of attitude expressed by so many American businesses today, either by intent or by negligently entrusting affairs to kids like this one that has brought about the death of consumer loyalty, a record number of customer service complaints and a customer satisfaction rating at an all-time low, and the explosive growth of internet shopping which has significantly cut into the profitability of staffed retail stores. If things keeps going the way that they are now, many retail store chains--and retail jobs--may disappear altogether. And one of the major causes of their demise will be because they forgot how to treat customers. I remember when the customer was always right. Pity for JC Penney that their phone girls don't remember this basic service mantra any longer.

13 comments:

  1. Just when I find that Jacque Penney's has a decent selection of the extra tall clothing I need, you have to go and write this! Thanks a lot!

    I suppose since I don't have a Pennys credit card, I won't ever get these phantom charges, but this does explain in part the huge sales decrease they had last quarter. It seems their customers are leaving in droves. You just drove them down another .00000001% (or so!) for this quarter. Not mocking you - if a company is in that much trouble, they can't afford to lose any customers, let alone loyal ones. The demise of a great American retailer continues. Just like Woolworth and Montgomery Ward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a *itch!! I would have been irate in the first place with all those bogus charges and the credit issue!
    Well, I am off to work here shortly. Need to quit reading blogs and actually get out the door!! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:22 PM

    THEY DID THE SAME THING TO ME. They never sent me notice that there was a balance when there shouldn't have been a balance and then waited until the fees were up to $10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:33 PM

    I'm sorry, but I'm of the school that believes that mistakes happen, at companies or with people and that people shouldn't feel entitled to get something for their trouble.
    Mistakes happen. How much did your time cost you? If you called after you got off work, nothing. If you called when you were on the job, then that would be YOUR time and money you wasted, not JCPenney wasting your precious money-costing time. I wouldn't normally be "for the company", but in this situation, I don't believe that you should feel entitled to anything, and you are just contributing to the selfish "Me first" attitude of this country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm looking forward to the day when someone else's negligence adversely impacts your credit rating. Then we'll see how forgiving you are. Those of us who actually have good credit ratings don't suffer such wrongs lightly.

    As to your other point, I never claimed to be "entitled" to anything. What I said was that businesses who value customers should make at least a token effort to make things right when they screw up. That's what good businesses do. They don't owe me a damn thing legally and in return I don't owe them any more of my business. I did all my Christmas shopping in other stores following this incident, mainly because they gave me the impression that they didn't value me as a customer. Their loss. When enough people stop doing business with any company for whatever reason, that company can't survive. The business edge goes to the company that goes the extra distance to keep it's customers happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Flash forward to Sept 2008.
    I have similar problems with unknown charges and now collection agencies. Its actually not JCP - its GE MONEY BANK that screwed you.

    I know because they are doing the same to me - without sending any statements - they changed my address when posting the invalid charges so I stopped receiving statements. First indicztion of problems was when the collection agency called 9 months after the charges first posted.
    GEMB refuses to even address the issues climaing they sold my account. Yes they sold it as JUNK DEBT!

    I notified JPC the GE Money cost them another customer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous said...Mistakes happen. How much did your time cost you? If you called after you got off work, nothing.

    Nothing? I've been retired 15 years and my time is worth something. We shouldn't underrate ourselves.

    Anyone who wastes our time should be sent a bill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I'm beginning to think this is a JCP conspiracy because the same thing happened to us for that same exact amount.

    This is dejavu and freaking me out. And we only charge at JCP once every 3-4 mopnths or so, so we too had been ignoring their mail, because we hadn't charged anything.

    They tried to tell us it was a late fee on a finance charge...finance charge for what?

    The rep could not tell me. GRRR.

    We would buy a few hundred bucks worth of stuff each time and pay the card off...no more.

    My JCP card died a painfully slow death in the shredder.

    And...the rep I spoke with was rude as well.

    Insane.

    You should consider Twittering about it. Seriously, a lot of businesses are getting on board with that to see what the general public is saying about them.

    Not a JCP shopper

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a near exact experience with Sears several years ago. Vowed to never buy a single item from Sears again, and I haven't. I've had good experiences with JCP and will continue to shop them until they screw me over too. It's bound to happen sooner or later, it's the new corporate America. Customer service used to be important. Today you're damn lucky if the employee can even speak english.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:21 PM

    i just got a jcpenney's card yesterday.

    i don't think i made a wrong choice, although i can't get rid of the feeling that my credit will be screwed over by a card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I built my current home in 1992. Imagine my surprise when I had to write a letter to the mortgage company to explain 1 late payment to JCP. No problems with any other creditors. Pissed me off so that I quit shopping at JCP from that moment. It may seem extreme, but it was liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Wow... can I ever relate to your story. It seems there is a script for customer service people today.

    We have an expression in our family about the threats of taking our business elsewhere. It involves something like pointing your finger at your head. Talk about your hollow threats.

    Customer service people not only don't care, they just move on to the next moronic (the way they see it anyway) customer or, I suspect in many cases, the next job.

    They neither understand nor care how business works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still have my Penneys card...it has a lovely, large monogram of my last initial on it! I got it three residences ago when they offered me ten per cent off a very large curtain I was buying, if I would apply for their card. I don't think I've used it since.

    If John Cash Penney were alive today, you would not see that kind of customer service from his store. Unfortunately, the store has moved significantly from its founder's ethics and philosophy.

    ReplyDelete