Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dogs. What they do when we're not watching them...

Ah, Lagniappe. You are so busted.

I was out walking Lagniappe last night when I happened to see one of my newest neighbors out working on the landscaping of his newly-built house. I stopped to talk for a bit, and when I introduced myself and Lagniappe, he looked at Lagniappe and said "Oh, I met him last week. He was in the crawlspace under my house."
I looked at Lagniappe. "He was where?"
"In the crawlspace under my house. He chased a deer under there last week."

I'd wondered what this dog did on those fairly infrequent occasions when he decided to leave the deck or his own fenced yard and go wandering. I just assumed that he was chasing cats or playing visiting neighbor dogs. But chasing a deer into a neighbor's house?

"How did he and a deer get in your crawlspace?" I asked.
"Well it wasn't sealed off yet as we were still installing stuff, and there's plenty of room in there--I can stand up in part of it. I was working upstairs and I heard barking and something bumping the floorboards from the crawlspace. I went out to look, and before I could get down there, a small deer ran out, and your dog was right behind it. He chased it back off into the woods."

All I could do was shake my head. Who knew? Much as it disturbs me that he's chasing deer--a big no-no for any dog--I never would have pictured him chasing a deer around inside the basement of my new neighbor's house.

Just when you thing you know a dog...

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha!!!!! I SO understand what it is like to have a dog who chases after deer! Kira literally becomes a wild wolf-like creature at the sight of a deer. Those light blue eyes get dark blue and she is no longer a friendly, cuddly puppy. She is a fierce, snarling, salivating, wild creature who wants nothing more than to kill and destroy. *rolling my eyes* She is no longer trusted off the leash. Ever. Only at the fenced in dog-park is she allowed off leash when we are out in public. Watching her take down a large sized doe in the middle of the city was the last straw.

    ReplyDelete