Friday, September 12, 2008

To train, in the rain...

Well I'm finally dry. Again.
It's been one of those days.

The plan called for a bit of running and some shooting, but the weather decided not to cooperate. When I got to Shepherdstown, where I'd decided to run on the C&O Canal towpath, a light rain had just begun.

OK, fine. Be that way. I came out to run, so I'm going to run. Besides, how wet could I get in an hour?

Answer: Pretty damned wet. I stretched the run and went five miles, just because when I got to four where I'd planned to quit, I still had some left. So I turned around and ran back out another half-mile then came back again for a total of five miles. Meanwhile, the rain had increased while I was running, but I didn't care, because I was feeling good. End result: I was totally soaked.

Fortunately I had dry clothes in my vehicle, so I changed and went into town for a well-earned pizza lunch.

Hey, where I come from, if you run five miles, you can have a pizza.

So once dry and fed, I headed back towards home. But as I was passing the range, I noticed that the rain had slowed to a light drizzle once again. So since I needed to test some new 5.56mm loads, I turned in and set up. And the rain increased once again.

But as I've said before, bad things happen in the rain too. So I'll train in the rain if it happens to be raining on my range days. And I did. I shot my AR-15, then transitioned to my Glock, which I'd brought out just because I haven't shot a Glock in a while and I want to keep my proficiency up.

And of course by the time I was finished firing, I was once again soaked to the skin.

Of course since I was already wet, I spent another ten minutes policing the rifle and pistol ranges for brass. Frankly I never thought I'd see the day when I'd scrounge for spent .223 and 9mm brass, but that day's here now. (And if the Democrats get their way, it's only going to get worse.) On the upside, I just finished a reloading run of about 2,000 rounds of 5.56mm cartridges and it was ALL range pick-up brass that I'd acquired over past years from other people who shot and left it. With the price of ammunition skyrocketing, I'm now grateful to the people who don't police up their brass. Keep it coming, folks. The less that I have to spend on ammunition, the more pig's ears and tennis balls I can buy for Lagniappe.

But now I'm home and dry. The weapons are dry, and...oh damn. I just remembered that I put Lagniappe outside about 45 minutes ago and forgot about him. Guess I'm not the only one getting soaked today.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:03 PM

    You both need to get dry and have some thing warm to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've enjoyed a hot tea, but he's just sulking on the rug in the Library as he dries.

    I think he was raised by Democrats when he was a pup, because he never learned how to do certain things for himself, like when he wants to come in. He just sit on the porch and waits for someone to come along and open the door.

    In six years, I have not been able to teach him to scratch on the door. To this day, his inner Democrat has him acting pretty helpless in certain situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:04 PM

    Nothin like the smell of wet dog!!! uuughh My dog got a bath today(which she totally loves....NOT) but even after a bath you still smell wet dog everywhere. The joys of having a dog. Never give her up for anything in the world though. Make sure your dog gets a puppy treat now.

    ReplyDelete