Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oh Deer!

So because it's raining, my deer herd is getting wet. They're still coming down for the corn though, and an unexpected benefit has been the eradication of a particularly annoying invasive ivy that took over part of my yard. I found out that when I throw the corn on the ivy, the deer eat both. Sweet!

So this afternoon, they were down here rooting around for corn. But the corn was gone, so I opened up the back door and threw some more out for them, then quickly backed off so that they wouldn't see me.

Six of them descended immediately, and I went up to the gun room to watch them because lately they've been looking right back into the window of my ground floor office and I know that they're watching me back.

At least when I'm in the gun room (surrounded by enough guns to take every deer in the state) they don't see me.

Well OK, most of them don't. This one was clearly eyeballing me.

I watched them eat for a while, and noticed that they were coming closer and closer to the house, obviously scavenging the stray bits of corn that fell when I threw the resat out onto the hillside. Suddenly I noticed that one was so close to the house that I could barely see her from the upstairs window. Then I realized that in my haste to get clear, I'd left the kitchen patio door open...OH NO!







I got back down to the kitchen just it time. I almost had company for coffee. While there's nothing I like better than a deer in the freezer, I really don't want them opening it up from the outside.






And where the hell is that useless watchdog dog of mine?!

5 comments:

  1. "And where the hell is that useless watchdog dog of mine?!"

    You sold him again! ;)

    So cute! But be so very carefull, you don't want them crashing thru your windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Maybe he was watching the deer.Wauitng for it to come in the hosue tp chase it.Then yipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lagniappe invited the deer in saying
    "my Person wont mind"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bambi is so cute

    Off topic, again but have you seen this video?

    Everyone should!

    http://apackof2-theworldaccordingtome.blogspot.com/2008/10/october-surprise.html

    Obama Bombshell Audio Uncovered. He wants to Radically Reinterpret the Constitution to Redistribute Wealth!!
    In a 2001 Chicago Public Radio Interview
    Obama is discussing the best way to bring about a Redistribution of Wealth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:37 PM

    cracks up at this post!!!! Tonight i took "rebel" my little jack russell terrier out and he went NUTS!!! barking like a lunatic. Well we have alot of deer here on the property.......BUT, we also have a haunted house and property. I saw no deer on the lawn, and the dog just now stopped barking INSIDE the house. It took him about a half hour. Soooooo i am a bit freaked. Gee i hope it was deer. Laughs....

    ReplyDelete