Friday, January 02, 2009

Lagniappe scores his first cat for 2009...and muffs it.

My, how the mighty has fallen.

I let Lagniappe out into his run this afternoon, and lo and behold, there was a cat in there, looking totally shocked to see a hundred pound German Shepherd come out the door. Before I saw the cat, Lagniappe did, and he was on it like Rosie O'Donnell on a piece of chocolate cake. I thought for sure that the cat was about to become an ex-cat as Lagniappe grabbed it, shook it and threw it, but as Lagniappe went in for a second hit, the cat swiped him right across the nose with a paw full of claws.

Damn, I knew that one had to hurt. Lagniappe backed off for just a split second, and it was just long enough for the cat to get out from in front of him. Both creatures disappeared around the corner in the run where I couldn't see them, and then I heard more scrabbling, but before I could get there, I saw the cat fly through the air over the fence. Not sure if it leaped or was flung (I suspect the latter) but it got to it's feet and ran off. A crestfallen Lagniappe returned to me, no doubt sad because his new toy was gone. I chided him for losing his touch as I took him inside to put Betadine on his cut nose. There was a time when that cat would not have gotten away.

Not a good start for 2009 there, fella.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:13 PM

    Maybe he his getting soft in his old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, he IS getting soft in his "old" age! lol. Aw, he has just lost the touch from lack of practice. I am sure the next one won't be so lucky! hehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think his master failed to properly motivate him for 2009. :)

    ReplyDelete