So a couple of weeks ago, I spotted a Glock 21 (.45 ACP) on Gunbroker. It had a pretty low starting price that looked ok to me so I bid that amount and forgot about it...until I got the e-mail letting me know that I'd won.
Well I sent the money off and it came in to my dealer yesterday so I went to get it today.
So after competing the transfer, including the oh-so-redundant background check, I eagerly trotted it out to the firing line and began shooting at the steel plates on the dueling tree target stand.
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click...
Hmmm.. Tap, rack...BANG! BANG! click.
And so it went, all through both magazines that it came with. The pistol was misfiring about one in three rounds, always hitting the primers dead center, but not hard enough to set them off.
Yay. A new puzzle-project.
It's a Glock, so it shouldn't be hard to fix. I figure I'll replace the firing pin assembly and see what that does. Granted, I like to tinker with "project" guns, but still...space is getting tight on my "fix it" bench, which is where this one is now residing, right next to the Sig 229 that I bought last month--the one that turned out to be DAO when I was expecting a SA/DA. (That one will be getting a new SA/DA SRT trigger assembly when I get around to it.)
Anyway, the day wasn't a total loss. I still had "Old Reliable with me as a back-up.
Apparent moral of the story: Glocks are ok, but there's no beating a good 30 year-old 1911A1 when you really need something shot. (Psst! Glock fanboys...that's satire. I own four of them because I really do like them. Relax.)
Oh, and on the bonus side, I did some probing and found out that the stunningly cute little range-mistress that I saw working out there last Sunday is not dating anyone at the range and I've been given the official blessing of the range manager to pursue her to the best of my abilities. Tally-ho!