Monday, September 23, 2013

Distance Shooting Day

So this morning, I got up, fussed at Murphy for a bit, then hit the range with Larry the Historian.
Larry had a few neat toys, including his Barrett .50. I just brought this one:














The rifle is a Savage 110 Law Enforcement model, with a heavy barrel. The rifle is chambered in 7.62x51, and yes, it's left-handed. The optic is an SWFA Super Sniper 10x42mm scope with target turrets.

The range has some new 1/2" steel plate targets at 400 yards, these being 1'x1' squares hung up on posts. They make a nice sound when you hit them that's clearly audible back at the firing point a couple of seconds after the impact.

It's funny how I can't group for anything on paper at that distance but I can ring that small clanger fairly consistently if I pay attention to what I'm doing.

I loves me that old Savage rifle. For all of it's ability, it's probably the closest thing to a "safe queen" that I have because there's usually nothing at any distance to shoot at and/or no one to spot for me. But now there's this new steel, at least until Larry blows it all away with his Barrett.

I stayed way too long at the range, but I still found time to play with the Smith and Wesson M&P .22 rifle a bit.
This thing is great for breaking clay pigeons into pieces at 50 yards, then breaking up the pieces.

It was a fun morning. Thanks, Larry!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, you are good with that Savage! I can attest to that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Old NFO: You're too kind. But I had to be good to keep pace with you and your awesome SCAR.

    ReplyDelete