Friday, December 13, 2013

How does she keep doing that?

So I get up this morning and I put the dogs out in the dog run. They romp off happily into the snow and I got into my office and start messing with my computer. A few minutes later, I hear something go "thump!" up against my kitchen patio door. Having my suspicions, I walk into the kitchen, and sure enough, Belle is out of the run again and she's now laying on the back patio up against the door, just waiting for me to open the door and let her in. No idea how she keeps getting out (or why Murphy doesn't follow her) but at least she's easy to recover. She's apparently decided that this is her home and I'm her person and she has no desire to roam, unlike every male Shepherd that I have or have had.

I'm going to have to put her out there one of these days when I've got a bit of time and then just watch her to see how she's doing it. Then I'll have to close off her escape route. Please don't tell me that she's just vaulting it; the fix for that will be new, higher fencing and that won't be cheap or pleasant, nor can it be done until the snow's gone.

And God help me if Murphy ever starts emulating her. Then I'll have real trouble.

5 comments:

  1. I had a Rott that would climb chain link fences. Not only that, but she would break out the other dogs in the neighborhood so they could all play

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mozart (white GSD) can escape from anything. When he was still in the custody of Animal Control before we adopted him, he got out of their kennels every night. They'd put him in in the evening, he'd be waiting for them at the door of the office the next morning... They still aren't sure how he did it - the caging went all the way to the roof & his door was still latched. They even tried moving him around to different "cells". Same result. As for us, we gave up on raising the fencing here after we watched him clear 6' from a seated position...He simply can't be allowed outside unless one of us is with him - and even then we keep a bell on his collar so we can tell exactly where in our 2 acre fenced dog yard he is... And years ago, our Guinan (female white GSD - lost her to hemangiosarcoma over 10 years ago & still miss her) loved playing on top of our shed. Have I mentioned the roof was 8' off the ground? She'd just hop up there like it was nothing... Good luck with Belle - but I've got a feeling you're gonna have your hands full!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as long as she does not get a hold of a motorcycle and make a break for the fence, I think you can fix this! (Hint for Saturday Man Movie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned long ago - - around 8 or so, maybe earlier - - that a standard-height chain-link fence can be surmounted by a German Shepherd. You're probably going to have to train her not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least she DOES come back... Point in her favor... And yeah, she's probably jumping the fence.

    ReplyDelete