Saturday, May 24, 2014

Because Practice makes Proficient

I hit the range today with Proud Hillbilly and a couple of newish neighbors who have the potential to become really good shooters and hopefully even reliable team members come the bad times.

This time out, I took a real rifle, my Springfield Armory M-1A, and an old favorite pistol, my ex-New Orleand Police Department Beretta 92.

I do love the feel of a good two-stage trigger, especially one tuned for Camp Perry shooting. admittedly, it takes some getting used to after all those range sessions with ARs.

And the Beretta? Just plain fun.
The Beretta was old and shopworn long before I got it, but it's been overhauled and it's accurate and as reliable as anything else in the safe. And this M-1A was my Perry rifle for years before the darned ARs came along and took over Hi-Power. If the SHTF tomorrow and I could grab one fighting long gun on my way out the door, it'd be this one.

Come bad times, I know that I can depend on either of these self-defense tools without worrying, so long as I do my part. And since marksmanship is a perishable skill, I do my part regularly by getting out to the range every week or two. Those of you not training regularly have to know that when the time comes, you won't magically become totally fit and a crack shot; if you're not working out now and putting your time in on the range, you should expect to fail when you wind up against someone on the other side who has been doing those things. Just sayin'...

5 comments:

  1. If I wasn't hobbled right now, I'd have come out too. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a standing invite to come out whenever you like...and come bad times, there's plenty of room for you here, too.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you and PH had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Range was crowded, but it was still fun.

      Delete
  3. Hey Murphy,

    Looks like you had a good time. Getting an M1A is on my bucket list, although I will not lie..I really like the SOCOM 16. That is a good reworking of the M14 style rifle.

    ReplyDelete