Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Range Day--Getting Ready

I have a rifle class coming up soon. And because I don't want to look like a donkey any more than I have to, I spent this afternoon making sure that my rifle is zeroed perfectly, both with it's iron sights and the two different optic units that I'll be bringing with my.

The rifle:

My Bushmaster carbine, with an A.R.M.S. #40 BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) and a Grip-pod forward vertical grip that's also a bi-pod. (This is one of the coolest AR accessories out there, folks. If you don't have one, get one.)


The optics:

An Aimpoint Comp ML4 zero-magnification red-dot on a LaRue quick-detach tactical mount.

And a Trijicon ACOG 4x scope, also on a LaRue QD mount.
One hundred rounds and a box of orange sporting clays later, I'm confident that this rifle is as zeroed as it's going to get and perfectly capable of making accurate shots sufficient to hit any target this class has us shoot at, providing that I do my part, of course. (There's always that bit, isn't there?) Now I've just got to detail clean and lubricate it and send it and it's ammo and kit off to my wonderful host for the class. I may still come off looking like a donkey after this class, but at least it won't be because the rifle wasn't prepped and ready.

Note: Neither Bushmaster nor LaRue Tactical, Aimpoint, Trijicon, A.R.M.S or Grip Pod gave me anything to flog their stuff; I just own and use it because I really like it.

5 comments:

  1. Go shoot em good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of expected to see a feral cat in those crosshairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, gun school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you aren't going to train with them, why have them? One class per year minimum is my goal.

      Delete
  4. YeeHaw!! If you outshoot me I'll cry. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete