Thursday, August 28, 2014

Dogs' Day Out

I had business in Frederick, Maryland today, and it was a nice day, so I took Murphy and Belle with me for a walk downtown.
N. Market Street in Frederick is pretty "dog friendly", so much that even the firehouse puts a water bowl out for four-legged passers-by.
Lots of stores put bowls out, and Murphy and Belle hit every one. They joined me in some of the stores, too.
Loosely translated: "Belle is Welcome. We've heard about Murphy and we'll be watching him."

Here they are enjoying the air conditioning in The Curious Iguana, "Downtown Frederick's Independent Bookstore."
Then we walked along Carroll Creek, a small river that runs through downtown Frederick with park space on either side.

"This is us, behaving like good dogs!"

The "creek" even has fish.
"Oooh! I see a fish! I see a fish!"

Apparently Murphy saw the fish too, because the next thing I knew, he dove right in.
Fortunately, just a bit further down the creek, there were some underwater steps that made it easy for him to climb back out without my help.

Stoopid dog.

But at least he got cooled off, and the lunch crowd in the park thought that he was neat.

Belle was not amused.
"We can't take him anywhere. Let's just pretend that we don't know him, ok?"

On the way back, I stopped off at Brewer's Alley for an Oatmeal Stout. The dogs had to wait outside the fence, but The World's Most Optimistic Waitress brought them bowls of water, too.
What made me label her that, you ask? Oh, it was probably when I gave her a ten dollar bill to pay for the four dollar beer and she asked me if I wanted any change back. A hundred and fifty percent tip on one drink? As if! Keep dreaming, sister. I admire the chutzpah but you've got to be a lot flirtier and show a lot more skin to get that sort of a tip.

It was a good day, and the nap on the couch when we got home cinched it. And now it's steak on the grill time, so if you'll excuse me...

4 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, seems kinda snug not to take care of a waitress who brings a bowl of water for your dogs. Just sayin' Mr. Snuggy Pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I did tip her, and I tipped her extra for the dogs, but not six bucks.

      Delete
  2. I love Frederick. And that path along Carrol Creek goes for quite a ways. Unfortunately, it's in the Stoopid State of Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:01 PM

    Does Murphy have a fishing license? :-)

    ReplyDelete