Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Other aircraft seen

While traveling this past week-end, I did see some other neat aircraft, both on display and in use.

Here's a glider and towplane below me over southern New Jersey.
A bit of internet sleuthing determines that it's the folks from Yards Creek Soaring out of Blairstown, NJ, and their 1964 Piper PA-25-235 towplane hauling a sailpane of undetermined make.


There was this nifty older Huey Cobra at Battleship Cove.
And there was also this Huey gunship next to it, complete with Old AF Sarge rocking his Air Force hat.
My favorite though: This T-28 Trojan. I needs me a T-28.
We pondered whether anyone would notice if they came in one morning soon and found a Cessna 172 in it's place. But as Sarge pointed out: "How you gonna get it off the dock?"
Damn.

Then there was this nifty amphibian at the Newport Stater Airport where I met Sarge, and where he dropped me back off.
I was also parked across from this slick ex-Comunist bloc Yak trainer/aerobat at the same place.
Must be fun to work on. When I casually asked my A&P guy if he worked on radials during my last annual, he said that he did..."but if you're thinking of getting one of those Yaks, take it someplace else."

But the coolest aircraft I saw all week-end really does have to be Old Beetlebomb, shown here on the ramp at Block Island.
Gotta love this one. This is the one that took me everywhere and let me take cool pictures like these:
It's also the one that got me home.

8 comments:

  1. All that haze gray paint makes me a bit nostalgic, as old sailors are wont to become in the presence of ships of the line. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta love the one that brung ya! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Coulda got some better ones of the battleships if not for having to try to stay out of Green State Airport's Charlie airspace while maneuvering and picture-taking right on the edge of it. They sure can't make it easy for a guy with a plane and a camera these days.

      Delete
  3. Sweet photos Murph!

    The Cove looks awesome from the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics, and nothing to complain about... It works, got you home, and didn't cost an arm and a leg to operate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great pics. Thanks for taking us along on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the lowdown on the Volmer VJ-22 Sportsman you pictured so well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volmer_VJ-22_Sportsman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:35 PM

    Thanks for taking us along on your trip

    ReplyDelete