Friday, December 18, 2015

That dog...

That Murphy.

He's annoying. He's pushy. He's always got some new challenge for me, and that's on top of his allergies and ear infections that cost me another two hundred bucks at the vet today. What benefit do I get in return for all of this?

Well tonight, a friend stopped over. Someone Murphy has never met before. Murphy gave him the usual "welcome" from his perch on the deck, but even once the friend was inside, I noticed Murphy had an eye on him all night.

When the two of us went upstairs to the gun room, Murphy came upstairs, too. He never left the two of us the entire time. Belle was around, and she got her share of petting and playing, but Murphy was clearly on watch. He was looking out for me the whole evening, even though I didn't need him to. He wasn't up in our business, and he didn't make his presence known, but he was never more than ten to fifteen feet away from me the entire night, always awake and alert and always watching that friend.

You can't bribe a dog into being that loyal, and I don't even think you can train it into a dog that doesn't already have it. Murph's a jerk in a lot of ways, but there's one thing that he's very, very serious about and that's watching my back. And he doesn't do it because I make him--he does it because he wants to.

I love this dog.
"Yu wanna mess with him, yu gotta mess with me first. So come on."

11 comments:

  1. That dog deserves a pizza!... Oh wait...never mind..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend had a German Shepard who was wary of visitors. But if you stayed the night, in the morning, he was the best of friends. Even if you came back two months later, he'd remember that you were a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs like Murph read your mind so much it's scary sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Murphy;

    My dad has a German Shepard that is about a year old..and the dog is the size of a Shetland pony. Sydney likes me but I always play with her, and my dad commented on that.I replied" I want her to recognize me as a friend so one day when I come over here, she doesn't try to eat me".
    Dogs instinctively know a good person from a bad person, I have read more than once that a dog knows if a person have a character flaw. If you know somebody and the dogs don't like them, be vigilant. That is why we have dogs from way back when Old NFO walked the Earth with a club. You can't buy loyalty from Murphy like that and that is a good thing.
    Now watch, he will do something tonight that will make you lament about hamsters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Dog!
    He's a keeper.

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dog! Well, he sorta gave me a pass. Sorta. Good on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave him cookies. Plus he likes your blog.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous6:49 PM

    Good dog he deserves a marrow bone

    ReplyDelete
  8. He done good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dog. I'd say it looks like the feeling is mutual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a handsome dude!

    ReplyDelete