Tuesday, November 07, 2017

More Fallon

They got so many aircraft in here to drool over. One of my favorites--an oldie but a true classic, the North American F-86 Sabre Jet:

If I could have one to fly out of here, it'd be the F-86. Chuck Yeager described it as the last jet that handled like a high performance piston-engine fighter.

Then there's my other favorite, the Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter, built mainly for export but used at Fallon in a training role to simulate aggressor aircraft. It was said that a capable pilot in one of these could still take on an F-15 or F-16 pilot and win.

And here's something you don't see every day...an F-16 in NAVY colors.

And here's a Lockheed S-3 Viking, aka "the War Hoover".

And a Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye.

And of course there is an F-18 here too.

Several F-18's, in fact. And not all of the static displays.


It was a great day to be alive out there.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Murphy;

    You ain't kidding about the F86, supposed to handle like a dream...I am surprised that you didn't try to sneak that plane out in your backpack or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the F-86, but to fly it right, you need the .50's installed and fully loaded...otherwise the weight is all wrong. If I owned one, I'd find a way to install guns...which is maybe a good reason why I don't own one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know an F-15 pilot who's starred in some F-5 movies. Richtofen's quote about "It's not the crate, but the man inside" is quite true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ones, and yes, the Navy does fly F-16s as aggressors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the F-86 what John Glenn flew in Korea with Ted Williams as his wingman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Ted Williams flew them a lot in Korea. Can't speak to Glen.

      Delete
  6. Don't think the Marines flew F-86s from carriers. F9Fs, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Navy did have a version of the F-86 called the FJ-2 or FJ-3 Fury, basically an F-86 with folding wings and an arresting hook. They flew off carriers for a while.

      Delete
  7. Very Nice.
    I'm an A-10 Warthog fan but I don't see any in your pics.
    -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have any at Fallon, but I did get a pic of one--and only one--at the Martinsburg, WV air show. Here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HLXQKl9DvHk/TnUXsEI6GFI/AAAAAAAAD9U/lYP9SQW4N-A/s1600/041.JPG

      I'll try to get more, just for you.

      Delete