Monday, October 20, 2008

Starting the week off right

So today's off to a great start. Went out early today for a run on the C&O Canal towpath. My prosthetist is going to be bugged since the gravel tears up my running foot so bad, but I stopped caring. It's too nice a day not to run in the woods and I need to do more running off of the smooth, flat asphalt just as a matter of training. The whole world's not paved, you know. Besides, he gets paid good money to fix it and the more I damage this equipment, the more I spur development of better stuff. Every time I break one of these things, I get a new one that's just a bit (or a whole lot) better. So why wouldn't I break them as fast as I can? If I never broke one, I'd still be using the first one I got two years ago, and that one sucked!

But it's my prosthetist's own fault. He's the one that had all the magazines in his office that showed people with prosthetic legs running, jumping, swimming, hiking and competing in all sorts of extreme sports. When I saw that, I decided that if they could do that stuff, so could I. My prosthetist told me that those weren't "typical" amputees, that "normal" amputees didn't do that sort of stuff, and that he didn't know any like that.
"Well you do now," I told him. And right then, I decided that it would be my goal in life to do more and be more than the average two-footed person. I wasn't much for athletics before, but I am now, and it feels great.

Only downside is that several pair of pants and a couple of new belts that I bought not even a year ago are all too big now. I've dropped 2-3 inches off my belt size since I decided to revamp my diet and exercise program about six months ago, and my blood pressure and cholesterol are down too.

Now I have to work on my fat dog. Lagniappe's looking a little pudgy since I started running and stopped walking him every day. So his food got cut back, and today I took him running with me. Since he was new to it. we just did a short, easy four miles. well I ran 4 miles. He took off after so many squirrels that I think he probably ran five.

First I tried running him on his leash, but he won't stay next to or behind me. No, even though he's new at this, he insists on getting out there in front and leading, even though he has no idea where we're going or why. Maybe I should call him "Obama". Oh, and he's also black, but we're not allowed to mention that.

He started getting on my nerves, because he'd run ahead of me but then slow down to the point where I had to keep telling him to move. Finally I just unclipped him and let him run at his own pace, which worked fine until he started seeing squirrels. Fortunately, there's no place he can go from the towpath. The river's on one side and the dry canal with it's steep opposite bank is on the other. So he chased tree-rats as I concentrated on just finishing the run.

After the run and a light lunch, I stopped off at the range to do a bit more work with my trusty 1911A1. It's hard to believe that I've had this pistol over 20 years now. None other than Patrick Sweeney himself talked me into buying this one in lieu of some stupid idea that I had to build one from parts after I read a magazine article about how easy it was. Pat was just a local gunsmith working in a small shop back then and I had the good fortune to go to him to buy the parts for my pistol build. He could have sold me what I thought I wanted and made some money, but instead, he showed me several other botched "home-builts" that he had in the shop, and after he gave me the facts of life about such projects, he steered me into this very pistol and I walked out the door with it. It's served me well since, especially after Mas Ayoob taught me how to shoot it right, and this one will someday go to the grave with me, just in case I need a good handgun on the other side.

Now I'm home, and Lagniappe is asleep in the sun out on the deck. He's all happy now, which is quite a contrast from last night. You see, last night he did something bad, as all dogs will do every now and then, and I blew my stack and yelled at him something awful. He slunk off to lay low for a while, and then, as always happens, the reconciliation began. He kept coming up to me, bearing his toys--one after the other--and placing them on my lap or at my feet. Now this is a dog who doesn't share his toys or allow others to touch them, and he never willingly hands one over to anyone--even me--unless he's trying to atone for something. Then they become apology gifts. Within half an hour, despite my telling him that there were no hard feelings, all of his toys were piled up in my office and he was sitting beside the stack, nudging me with his nose and trying to get me to pet him.





How can you stay mad at a dog like that?



Well now I have work to do here. I can't just nap in the sun like Lagniappe. I'm finishing up on a project where I'm removing numerous small and medium-sized weed/trees before they become huge wee/trees. Not sure what they are, but they have impressive root systems that spread out underground and make pulling them nearly impossible. and if you just cut them off, they grow right back. So I have to go at eash one with a mattock and get under the root ball to pull them completely. And of course it's too much to ask for them not to grow around rocks.

With any luck, I can at least manage to chop the rest of them out without losing balance on the hillside and swinging the mattock into my leg again like I did yesterday. I'm just glad that I only hit the carbon-fiber one. Still, I gouged it pretty good and I can hardly wait until my prosthetist sees that nice gash...

Ah well. I'd better get at it. If I don't make the most of the last couple hours of daylight, I won't be able to truly enjoy the nice steak that I plan to grill tonight.

Later!

13 comments:

  1. Great post. Anyone ever tell you that besides everything else, you're a hell of a writer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude is that a Belgian Shepherd?
    He's a grand looker, from the Pic he looks all black, and do you mind phonetically spelling his name once so I can say it right. I have wanted a 1911 for so long I looked around and found a S.A. GI champion with a 4" barrel, I just had a beaver tail installed on it cuz my hand would roll up over the grip safety and the hammer would bite me....Owch

    fd

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's actually an American Shepherd, ex-law enforcement. Although in the time that he's been retired, he's literally gone from being a T-Rex to Barney the big purple dinosaur.
    Name is pronounced Lan-yap. It's Creole French from Louisiana and means "a little something extra". And yep, he's all black save for a tiny white flash on his chest.

    Springfield Armory still makes, IMHO, the best stuff out there this side of a Kimber or Wilson Combat custom gun. You can't go wrong with one. I've had the trigger lightened and added an ambi safety, better sights and the Hogue grips, but otherwise it's still stock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you apparently hate me and everything I stand for, I have to say you have some nice blog posts and a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't hate you, Kent.
    We just don't agree on some points. And I probably came off sharper then I should have, so for that, please accept my apology.

    Thanks for the input on the site. Feel free to stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep telling HH-6 that I am ether going to get a black Cane Corso or
    a Belgian Malinois. two 90 lb dogs playing tug O war with a meth head sounds fun

    I am a strange man at times

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thoese Belgian Melon-ball dogs are ok, and if I weren't stuck on Shepherds I'd seriously consider one.

    But I'm old-school and don't accept change, be it new technology or new breeds of dogs. Call me The Last Luddite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:59 PM

    I'm curious about the running, I started running a couple years back after giving up smoking, and I love it, but I've only got one arm(well one and a half) and as such am off balance constantly. This has left me with constant back problems and frequent down time. Have you run into back trouble at all?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story and a great pic! Of your doggie;).....I'm in love with that pudgie sweety!

    Oh and the story was great too;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous,

    No, I have never had that problem. But congrats on quitting smoking and starting to run. I doubt you'll ever regret either choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a dog mom I could never "stay mad at a dog like that?"

    Thanks for stopping by my blog here http://apackof2-theworldaccordingtome.blogspot.com/2008/10/change-means-never-having-to-face-facts.html

    to comment although there wasn't any comment?

    Hmmmm maybe that means you so totally agree with the article nothing needed to be said?

    apackof2
    Conservative Blogger
    RV Wanna-be
    Maddie the Wonderdog
    My Blog http://www.apackof2theworldaccordingtome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did like the article. Just couldn't think of anything to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is what I'm for:

    1) Peace through superior firepower.

    2) 100% access control on both borders.

    3) The delegation of most federal powers back to the states in areas such as building infrastructure and funding education. If that means some states like West Virginia take a hit because they were getting more federal largess back than they were paying in, so be it, we're not running a charity here.

    4) No more War on Drugs, War on Terror, War on Cancer, War on Poverty, War on Inflation, or War on Puberty. If you really want to do those things wear a button, don't take my money.

    5) Public funding of all election campaigns to eliminate the influence of corporate interests in government. Don't cry "free speech" to me, the future of our representative democracy is in the balance.

    6) Start closing our overseas bases. Roll up the Empire. We don't have national interests overseas, and we never did. If we want to import oil lets just pay for it like China and Japan and Europe do. If we want to protect our citizens overseas there's INTERPOL.

    7) No bank or mortgage bailouts. Let the house of cards fall down so prices and find their true level again in the free market. The American economy will start again, but right now every government intervention distorts pricing and delays that day of reckoning.

    8) No 401(k) bailouts. I realize that the geezer lobby is a powerful political force, but if they had all their funds in the stock market they knew the risk going in.

    9) Annual tax cuts. You get rid of government waste by squeezing it, year over year.

    10) Nukes. Currently the US gets only about 1/5 of our energy from nuke plants. We need to be more like "liberal" France, which is 90% nuke. And it will make the global WarmOngers shut the fuck up.

    ReplyDelete