Murphy and I were all set to fly down to North Carolina today to see Keads and Bob and take in an air show tomorrow. I've spent the last couple of weeks fantasizing about warbirds and BBQ and shooting, and I even turned down overtime at work this week-end to make it happen. I dug deep into the gun safe and pulled out a couple of valued pistols that don't get much action there days just in honor of the special company that I'd planned to shoot with. This was going to be a great week-end and probably my last long flight before winter weather and other pending commitments shut me down for a while.
Winds at the airport when we got there this morning were 18 knots, gusting to 31. My humble Cessna has a demonstrated crosswind ability of 15 knots, and this wind is pretty close to a direct crosswind on the only runway the airport has.
I mulled it. I pondered it. I talked to a few other pilots, all of whom had already decided not to fly today. I flipped a couple of mental coins and "try it" won a lot of the tosses. Then I thought of what the FAA investigators and my insurance company would say if I wrecked trying to take off in those winds.
Have a great week-end, Keads and Bob. Murphy and I will be thinking about you guys from back here in West Virginia.