Monday, February 16, 2015

On Dogs and Books and Books on Dogs.

There are three kinds of people in America today.

The first are those poor folks who have never read friend Brigid's book, The Book of Barkley: Love and Life Through the Eyes of a Labrador Retriever.

Brigid wrote this book after she lost both her beloved Lab Barkley and her only brother, adopted with her from Foster care, and a Navy Veteran in his 50's, to sudden, aggression cancers, within weeks of each other early in 2014. This is their story--one of memory, hope and faith.

The second kind of people are those who have read this book but not yet voted for it to win London's Bookbzz's Prize Writer Competition. Currently this book is just a bit out of first place, and right now it's there because of the third type of people, namely those who have read this book and voted for it to win, as I and others here have done.
Winners in each genre will be televised on National Book Day and receive a cash prize. The link to vote through Google Plus, Facebook or Twitter is below.

http://bookbzz.com/prize-writer-biography-memoir-vote/

If you are one of the second sort, someone who read it but did not vote yet, go there and vote, and vote quickly. If Brigid's book wins, she'll be donating every penny to the disaster response dogs of Search Dog Foundation of California, a worthy cause indeed.

Now if you're one of the first sort--someone who has never read this book--go here, get a copy, read it, and cast a vote for it before Feb 28th. A lot of rescue dogs are counting on you.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Murphy's Law - I needed a boost. Someone gave it it's first poor review stating it was a memoir, full of stories of childhood and family in addition to stories about a dog. Which is exactly how it is advertised. I did not respond but did NOT send them the 50 Shades of Grey that was on their Amazon Wish List.

    For those of you that knew Barkley and helped me through that difficult time - bless you. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brigid's blog (found it from yours), and think her writing is some of the best I have ever read. However, I can't bring myself to buy/read her book. I am SURE it is amazing as is every single post I have ever read on her blog. I know it is going to make me cry and for that, I just can't do it. I teared up on so many of her posts already when she even mentioned Barkley. This will put me over the edge.

    So for the rest of you out there, while I can't suggest the book from experience, I can vouch for her amazing ability to write. And if you aren't a big mush like me who can't even open a book where a dog passes on, I bet this is a great read.

    Best of luck to you Brigid. I hope you win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im the third type of person now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MTL - I understand - there is a lot of humor in it, but yes, there's sadness, for we lost Barkley and my brother much too soon. Thanks for your kind words.

    coyotesfan97 - thank you so much! If you love the book please tell Amazon - just don't use my blog name, as I try and keep those separate - - why I write using my initials. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got a copy and I look forward to reading it. I am sure I am going to be a cry baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, and I've both read it and voted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brigid I'd be proud to tell them. It is a great book.

    ReplyDelete