Sadness. Weather is developing to the south and west that wasn't in the forecast a few days ago when I planned this trip. It's projected to mess up flying in the NE for days. Much as I want to hit Maine this trip, the prudent thing is to call this one a scratch and turn back for home before it gets here. Pity, but I've had fun, and I can always try again later.
Off to Nantucket for lunch--got to see a man that I've been hearing about my entire life--and then it's probably back to West Virginia before dark.
Edited: Screw Nantucket, Route home is already heading for IFR. I've got a VFR window pretty much all the way if I'm lucky and more quick, and if I'm lucky. Back in Groton now, taking on enough gas for the next 300 miles. If I don't make it by tonight, I may wind up having to stay over somewhere for a few days and/or leave the plane and go back for it after the weather clears.
At least it's not just me. MVY was looking like a mini-Tempelhof this morning with other pilots also cutting short their stays and trying to get out of the way of the weather. I feel better knowing that it wasn't just me.
Three days ago, flight weather for the week over the entire route was looking beautiful. There should be a rule that says that it can't change once the forecast is out. Just saying.