Effing Murphy...Maybe Belle too. I really don't know. But he's suspect #1 based on his history.
Last week, I won a nice decorative 5" dried starfish as a prize in a drinking game at a local bar. I put it out for display on top of a bookcase today and went out for a bit, not suspecting that it would be a problem.
I came back and found the remains of the nice box that it was in on the floor. I looked all over the place for the starfish and could not find it, and on closer inspection of the area with the shredded box, I found just enough remains to suggest where my starfish had gone.
So as I've had to do many times in the past with Murphy, I googled the problem: "My dog ate a starfish"
OMFG...this is actually a common problem, from chihuahuas to greyhounds. It looks like dogs across the board love dried starfish. (Google it yourself...you'll be amazed at the number of posts from people asking about this.)
The good news is, it's non-toxic and all I should expect is some irritation as the dog(s) try to pass the rough starfish material. Murphy is a goat, so no worries there, but if Belle had some too, her tender tummy is going to be giving her fits and me much to clean up.
The bad news is that I'm out a pretty nice starfish.