Friday, November 22, 2019

New old gun

And another post, just because a new (to me) pistol followed me home.
Yep. A Glock 22, Gen 3. .40S&W. Previously owned by my city.
Yep. NOPD is finally trading in their Glock 22's for new 9mm Glocks. They cut a deal with AIM Surplus and AIM is now selling them for $279.00 each. And any officers who want to buy theirs have been told to contact AIM with the serial number and pay...$279.00. What a nice FU from the city.

Of course the city has a bit of a problem with it's history of selling used guns. Back in the not too distant past, a slob of a mayor named Marc Morial made the city the first in the nation to sue the gun manufacturers, alleging that they were "putting dangerous weapons into the stream of commerce" and adversely affecting New Orleans, a city which then (and now) had a very high violent crime rate. Well the first thing that happened was that the SHOT show dropped it's bookings at the convention center, and it had been one of the few events to take up the entire million+ square feet while bringing thousands of visitors into area hotels and restaurants for a week. Then after that economic kick in the nuts, the gun manufacturers showed up in court with numerous guns bearing City of New Orleans property markings It seems that the same city that claimed that the gun manufacturers were dumping guns on the street had been selling confiscated and ex-city guns onto the same streets through some of the same wholesalers that the big companies used. So that suit got tossed and the city lost a lot of money for nothing.

And as fate would have it, I have one of those guns too. It's an old Beretta 92, used by NOPD before the jump to Glocks. It's an oldie--old enough that the late Todd Louis Green looked at it during a class I took with him back in 2011 and laughed. Todd used to be an exhibition shooter for Beretta before he went into teaching full time. He pronounced my gun "ancient" then taught me how to run it so well that I used it for the rest of the class even though I'd only brought it to show him. But here's that one sitting with the new one. Decades of protecting and serving the Crescent City right here. Now they protect me and three whack dogs.
And RIP, Todd Louis Green.


BTW, the new pistol shoots NICE. It may have a NY trigger but it's well-shot and broken in and it's smooth with a crisp break and great reset. I'd suspect that someone swapped out the disconnector and tuned it a bit but I know how fascist NOPD is on such mods...and they check every gun every qual just for that.

I was going to tweak this one but after 50 rounds at the range I think I like it just how it is.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Murphy;

    I recall that event a while back, Moreal, was the shitbird that was replaced by Ray "Chocolate City" Nagan. Man NoLa sure knows how to pick them and I don't know anything about the new mayor except she is democrat(of course). You done good, with that one, having the city stamp on a pistol is pretty cool and the stamp from New Orleans makes it more unique and it joins your Beretta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been standard practice (so I've been told) that a lot of police agencies use a "new york" trigger with a minus connector. It has about the same trigger pull as a standard trigger but a much crisper pull.

    ReplyDelete