Saturday, February 22, 2020

Some luck...But M-1A luck!

Aargh! I made this post but for some reason it never went live. So here it is again, only updated a bit.
Back in January when I walked into the local gun shop to pick up my CMP 1911, I happen to glance at the used rifle rack and noted that it contained two rifles--a Ruger Mini-14 with a fair bit of aftermarket crap on it and a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad.

I like the Scout Squad. I do. I have caressed and salivated over them at every NRA convention I've been to for years. I've long wanted one but not quite badly enough to justify the prices being sought for them.

This one was on consignment. The previous owner had bought it and reportedly never shot it and judging by the total absence of dirt, carbon, brass or rub marks on the metal parts and a box filled with all of the factory paperwork and accessories, I actually believe it.

I handled it. I pondered it. I worked the action and marveled at it's crisp, smooth trigger over and over. I asked the price and made a counter-offer. It was rejected and I left.

Thursday morning I went back in. I pawed it some more. I revised my lowball offer just a bit and this time they came back with another offer that I liked and I walked out with the rifle for $950, stiff new tactical carrying case included.
Seriously, it's deals like this that only people like Old NFO usually score. Only this time it was my turn. I've already got a GI wood stock for an M-14 that I'm going to refinish and put on this one, followed by a Burris 2-7x32 scout scope or similar optic.

I didn't need this "deal" right after buying the 1911. (It's a good thing I like ramen, because that's going to be lunch and dinner for a while...)
I didn't need that extra expense at the beginning of the new year.
But the way certain politicos are acting. I might be needing this rifle for real in a year or two.

It's a nice partner to my first "real" rifle, the standard M-1A that I bought back in 1988 when another group of politicos, that time supported by George Bush Sr. in the White House, passed a so-called "assault weapons" ban. That bill led my to buy the M-1A back then, and the current Dem antics in places like Virginia and threats of draconian gun bans in 2021 if they manage to steal this year's election convinced me to invest in self-defense once again.
7.62x51mm. Turning cover into concealment since the 1950's. Because when I shoot something I want it to stay shot.

Adding to the original post, I was not pleased with the black fiberglass stock. Sure it's "tacticool" I guess, but just not my thing. So I took an old M-14 stock that I had in the attic because I've been too lazy to sell it over the last couple of decades, and I stripped it down and spent a week giving it linseed oil rubs. Then I took an old slotted M-14 handguard that has also been pretty much in the way for as long as the stock, and I cut it with my dremel to fit over the scope base, giving the rifle a more unique look and a better color match with the new wood stock. The finished version now looks like this:

Now all it needs is the right sling and a decent scout optic for the base and I'm all set. Haven't had it out yet because the local range is still flooded, but it does balance and shoulder nice!

5 comments:

  1. Great score, Murph!

    I need one of those to go with my CMP Garand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're alive and you're scoring Garandish goodness.


    You bastige.


    Lucky, lucky bastige.


    Can't wait to hear the AAR on it's first field firing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What they said, you lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Murphy;

    You arn't kidding about Old NFO, he has that kind of luck, although you are a close second. You got a sweet deal on that rifle and swapping out the stock was brilliant, the rifle looks much better with wood than synthetic. Looking forward to the AAR on the rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made the right call changing to a wood stock. A classic look. You did a great job on the stock. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

    ReplyDelete