Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Still Clumsy after all these years

With apologies to Paul Simon.

 So I awaken a night back because I hear a rustling in the kitchen, and a chomping noise. I know that sound--it's a dog eating something. But I haven't fed the dog anything at 0134hrs so clearly something is amiss. 

My initial suspect is Murphy, because he's the main food thief. (Merida's giving him a run for his title but she's on the bed with me, a perfect alibi.) I get ip and head for the kitchen and I hear a loud CLANG! followed by the thump of something hitting a wall. What the hell? And here comes Murphy from behind me. It's not him! I turn on the kitchen light and it's Belle. Apparently she opened the pantry door, which doesn't shut well because this house was put up shoddily post-Katrina, and she made a run at the open bag of food for the porch cats. Now she's got her head stuck in the cat food bag and she's stumbling around the kitchen, tripping over her metal dish and banging into the wall.  She shakes it off as I get in there and looks at me like "Uh....I can explain."

Murphy would never do this. He's a food-stealing ninja dog who will take things off the counter while I'm in the next room and I'll never hear him do it; He's that good. Merida just takes unapologetically and makes a ton of racket doing it because three-legged dogs are not stealthy but she's too small to get into these bags. But Belle...usually above suspicion because she's the "good" dog and clumsy enough that she still trips over this bowl--or most anything else on the floor--after almost a decade. I swear that dog could trip over smoke and she's forever stumbling over the water bowl that no one else trips over, usually turning the kitchen into a lake in the process. Murphy never trips over the water bowl. Merida fell face-first into it once when adjusting to her new three-legged normal (I shouldn't have laughed but I did) and even I have been known to kick that bowl a time or two in the dark, but Belle hits it about once a week on average and she shows no sign of stopping. 

These dogs are lucky I love them...and I'm luckier that they love me.




10 comments:

  1. Belle must have been extra hungry. You must forgive her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that saying? "Be the man your dogs think you are!" That came up over at Chant du Depart recently, and it was good to be reminded of it. We are lucky that dogs are in our lives, although they can be exasperating at times (most of the time?).

    Merida's looking good - quite the change in her demeanor from what we can tell from the pics. As for the water on the floor, our mutts keep the floor around the bowl soaked most of the time as well, just from the water dripping from their mouths after drinking. Think we could train them to use straws?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murphy is rubbing off on her... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Murphy;

    Look how Innocent they look....LOOK!....We know better, but still, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me a "trips over smoke". :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is she accustomed to doing this, or is this just a recent, one-time occurrence? Could her body be craving something not available in her own food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all steal it when they can. Usually they can't get at it. And I've been known to use it as dog treats so there's that.

      Delete
  7. Just about spit coffee everywhere, Murph! I probably would have fallen down laughing if I'd seen her with her head stuck in the bag, and then that "Who, ME?" look they give you when caught red-handed.

    God must love us an awful lot to bless our lives with these creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dogs are amazing people.

    ReplyDelete