Thursday, June 16, 2022

Still trying me

 So walking Merida this morning and we reach a disagreement as to which way to go. I want to turn left and go home but she wants to go right. I told her no as I turned left and tried to lead her but she came to a stop and ducked her head and the collar slipped off over her head. 

Free dog. 

Murphy would have taken this as a sign that he was destined to be somewhere else. A chase would have ensued. But what does Merida do?

She plunks right down on the sidewalk and waits for me to put It back on her, which I do, praising her. Then she gets up and I try to pull her home and she stops and digs in and pops her collar again. Then she plops right back down and waits for me to reattach it again. 

She wants to go right but I’d already told her no. That matters to her. She won’t go without me but that doesn’t mean she’s going go give in without “asking” again. 

And she did it to me a third time too, once more going to ground as soon as she was untethered. Not running off, but not going home, either. But after I hooked her back up for the third time and got sharp with her, she finally fell into line and hopped on home next to me. 

Weird little dog. I think I’ll keep her. 


4 comments:

  1. Three times. I probably would have gone her way on the third. Who understands dogs. Mine would have been long gone not to be seen for an hour or so. But she's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's been though a lot.

    Is she better behaved in the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor also has a 3 legged dog (missing left rear). Sweet little dog, but hasn't been very happy since his girlfriend moved in. She wanders over into my yard for attention whenever she sees any of us out while she is out. Yesterday when I was petting her was the fist time in a couple of months that I have seen her smile.

    The dalmatian we had many years ago would have been running around in a flash if she had gotten loose. Been there, done that. She didn't settle down until she was about 8 or 9 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and well behaved angel she is. It's lovely that even though she is trying to assert independence, she clearly respects you as her alpha. Well done.

    ReplyDelete