Tuesday, January 16, 2007

OK Mr. President... It's on you to do right by our guys.

Well we're down to the wire per this story on Fox's site. Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean, two good men, formerly United States Border Patrol Agents, are set to begin serving prison sentences for the non-fatal shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, a Mexican drug smuggler who resisted arrest and attempted to flee back into Mexico after being caught trying to enter the US with a vehicle packed with 750lbs of marijuana that had been intended for US streets and schoolyards.

While I won't say that the two agents--family men with distinguished records of service--did everything right, the fact is that I have a real problem with their going to prison over this, just like I have a problem with the US government sending FBI agents into Mexico to find Davila and offer him immunity from prosecution for drug smuggling and illegal entry into our country in exchange for his testimony against these agents. And as a result, Davila is now reportedly suing the United States--in our courts--for five million dollars. Hell, he brings drugs into our country and gets away with a mere bullet in the ass and now demands money from us American taxpayers? I'd love to see an American try that against the Mexican government after a skirmish with Mexican border guards in Mexico. Not only would he not have access to Mexican courts, but Mexico would be demanding his extradition on criminal charges as loudly as possible.

As it stands now, our guys were arrested, tried, convicted, fired, and now expected to go to the same prisons that real drug smugglers and illegal aliens belong in. For 12 years! What drug smuggler gets 12 years? Few that I'm aware of.

Well a number of Americans have protested, and two dozen legislators have joined them in calling for these two to either be pardoned by the President or allowed to remain free pending appeal. I'm adding my voice to the call and I'll be frank about it--as an American who values justice, and as a cop standing up for my brothers, I'm calling on President George W. Bush to pardon these two men immediately. I demand this and make my future support of the GOP conditional upon it's occurring. If President Bush lets my brothers go to prison for this, he and the rest of the GOP can forget about any money, campaign help, or even a vote from me in 2008. And that's my promise.

Free Ramos and Compean, Mr. President. Free them and I'm your guy in 2008. Or don't and your party goes it without me next year.

I know that I'm just one guy saying this, but think about it, Mr. President... do you really believe for a moment that I'm the only American who feels this way? You know that I'm not. So do the right thing. Free my brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment