Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Gun industry customer service reviews

I figured it was time to do an article on customer service, particularly customer service in the friearms industry. So I will describe the customer service that I have recieved from each company that I have dealt with and I hope that someone might find it informative or helpful.

Bushmaster Firearms
I ordered a rifle built to certain specifications, and the one that arrived was not even close. I called to complain and got blown off by the phone staff. Angry, I penned a letter to the President of Bushmaster and shortly thereafter I recieved an envelope with a Bushmaster hat, sunglasses, a check for the full amount of the rifle I'd purchased and an apology letter signed by the President himself telling me to keep the rifle I'd recieved. Five stars out of five to Bushmaster. They build a great product and they believe in customer satisfaction. I recommend them to everyone now.

Colt Industries
Following a theft and subsequent recovery of my Colt AR-15, I sent the badly-damaged rifle to Colt for repair because they'd said that if the reciever was damaged they could make a new one with the same serial number to replace it. This was during the bans and a premium HBAR was pretty valuable. This rifle had been buried and corroded badly in some spots. Colt kept it for about eight months, and when I got it back, I was shocked and angry to see that after they'd charged me an arm and a leg to fix it, they'd done the shoddiest job I've ever seen on a gun repair. They literally parkerized and anodized right over the corrosion pits without even trying to clean them up. Worse, they didn't even replace small cheap parts like the flash hider ($7.00 retail at the time) but just reparked the severely corroded one. The whole thing looked like crap and I sold it in disgust. Colt gets no stars and friends don't let friends buy Colt unless it's an old Colt made back when quality control meant something.


CZ USA
My CZ-85 has been to their shop twice. Both times the work was done as promised, but the gun was there way too long. CZ USA gets two and a half stars.

Glock
Now these people I like. I had a Glock pistol stolen along with the Colt AR-15 (above). It wasn't that bad but it had some corrosion. I sent it to Glock for their inspection and repair and they replaced everything inside, cleaned up the corrosion, AND put night sights on it for free after I told them what happened to it. AND they got the gun back to me 8 days after I shipped it out. Glock gets five stars. Way to take care of business, Glock!


Surefire
I just sent a broken flashlight to Surefire. It was one of their older ones that they no longer make and it wasn't holding a charge any longer. They sent me a brand new, current-production light, charger and battery in less than two weeks time. Five stars to Surefire. Their lifetime warranty on their products is no BS.


Bushnell Optics
Sent a request for a repacement scope part in to them. Their instructions told me to send the broken piece if possible. I did and they apparently lost it because I have never heard back and my scope is still broken. Jerks. No stars.


Numerich Arms
I buy a lot of spare parts from Numerich Arms. About half the time, they get something wrong on the order and either omit something or mess up the billing. But they always fix it promptly so they get three stars just for always taking my word for it on discrepancies and fixing things.

DeSantis Holsters
They sent me a holster that I did not particularly care for. It arrived while I was out of town and by the time I got around to figuring out that I didn't like it and contacting them for a refund, it was a bit past the thirty day limit. However they did swap it even up for a similarly-priced holster for another gun that needed one. They would have sent the money had I asked for it, but I didn't think that would be fair since there was nothing wrong with the holster other than it did not satisfy my personal preferences. Quick turn-around on both the original one and the replacement--about two weeks on each for left-handed ones. Four stars for DeSantis.

Taurus Firearms
I like their lifetime warranty. Own a Taurus, and if it breaks, they either fix it free or replace it with a comparable gun at a nominal cost. I've deliberately bought broken Taurus pistols because Iknew that I could count on Taurus to make them right. And they always have. Four stars for Taurus.

My recommendations obviously refer to my own experiences and may not reflect the customer service that you have or may get, but if it helps anyone as any sort of guide, then it was worth writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment