Sunday, November 23, 2014

Gun Show Fun!

So off we went today to the gun show. Proud Hillbilly, Joby and I met up with JayG and Old NFO and we rambled around the Dulles Gun Show for a few hours. As usual, Old NFO found and snagged something really good (how the heck does he do that at every show?!) and then we all adjourned for some fine dining at the local Chez Owl (Hooters).

Ammo is starting to come back down just a bit, and reloading supplies are starting to return to reasonableness as well. Primers were under $30.00 per thousand at most tables, and Joby and I each scored a pound of Titegroup for $22.00, not too shabby these days. Now the dealer charging $45/lb. for WIN 231 and $270.00 for 8lbs of Unique should have been taken out and horsewhipped, IMHO. With any luck, he goes home with everything that he brought to sell.

And there was, naturally, the usual assortment of rifles fresh from the CMP all jacked up to over a grand, beater Chinese SKS rifles priced at $450, tons of old Bubba'd military rifles priced higher than un-screwed up ones go for, and table after table after monotonous table of AR parts and uppers for sale. But again, much of the fun was had as we laughed at their prices. I talked with one dealer about selling my M60, and when he asked me prices and I told him, he shook his head and said that it was "too high" and I'd never get it. This was the same dealer with two beat-up non-Colt M16 rifles for $23K and $25K respectively and a West Hurley M1 Thompson for $25K. I'M asking too much?

All in all, it was a good day, but then any time when you're with good friends and surrounded by guns and then you go drink beer and ogle Hooters girls...that's going to be hard to top.

5 comments:

  1. Dang it! Why did you not call me? Glad y'all had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awful long drive for three hours at the show and dinner. Also, it wasn't even a "go" for me until last night due to my ever-changing job hours. But next time we mull such a trip, I'll hit you up.

      Delete
    2. Understood!

      Delete
  2. Sure wish I could get out your way to hang out with you guys.

    I'm sure we'd all have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yerp, fun was had... :-) Thanks for the 'consult' on the rifle too! Obviously that guy wouldn't 'pay' you that much for the Pig, but he sure as hell would charge that much and more...

    ReplyDelete