Wednesday, October 26, 2016

It's finished!

So I took my stock set...


And the new barreled receiver...


The receiver is a nice one.

Harrington and Richardson Arms Co., a manufacturer contracted to make M1 rifles for the Korean conflict.

The barrel is a SA 1965, and the muzzle could be better, but I got what I got.

I added some pieces and parts from my "M1 Spares" box.


I then assembled a bolt that I happened to have handy.


An H&R bolt, too. Nice coincidence, that.


I added an operating rod and spring. No manufacturer stamped on this, which is a bit odd.


Then a trigger assembly. Mixed parts.


The front end got a gas tube that spec'd out just fine on my gauge. And the lock is the proper "high hump" design for HRA and other late-production rifles.


The gas plug. Another neat find. HRA again.


Put it all together and:


A nice representative late-production M1 rifle with mostly HRA parts.


Oh wait...there's still something missing. Can you spot what it is?

Anyone?

Bueller?
Tam?
Bueller?

Yep.


NOW it's ready for a range trip this week-end, circumstances permitting. Everything gauged good and it passes the function test. It's rock-solid tight, too. We'll see what it can do.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Murphy;

    Very nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I have a Korean War vintage M-1 with a beat up old stock. I bought a nice new stock, but then couldn't decide if I should mess with the old rifle. Putting a rifle together on your own is an impressive accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice rifle indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an Appleseed guy, I was missing the sling, then it appeared. Love those M1s. Do enjoy. Hooked up with Appleseed down there yet? I know you had bumped into them in WV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Appleseed here yet--but damn straight on the sling. A good rifle just isn't complete without one. (And I haven't forgotten how Tam called me out for a pic of one without a sling a couple years back. One damned pic out of hundreds...but she was right.)

      Delete
  6. It'll shoot :-) And well too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did always like that rear sight. Probably the best sight ever put on a military rifle. Durable, repeatable, accurate, what more could a rifleman ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wot! No pig-sticker?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea... Bayonet is what is needed. And a GI Belt with pockets for M1 clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The belts I got. Bayonets, not so much. Might need to start collecting those.

      Delete
  10. Doesn't the bolt used in the rifle have to be used to finish cutting the chamber?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. That's a USGI barrel, not a new one. Just need to check headspace.

      Delete