Wednesday, October 26, 2016

It's finished!

So I took my stock set...


And the new barreled receiver...


The receiver is a nice one.

Harrington and Richardson Arms Co., a manufacturer contracted to make M1 rifles for the Korean conflict.

The barrel is a SA 1965, and the muzzle could be better, but I got what I got.

I added some pieces and parts from my "M1 Spares" box.


I then assembled a bolt that I happened to have handy.


An H&R bolt, too. Nice coincidence, that.


I added an operating rod and spring. No manufacturer stamped on this, which is a bit odd.


Then a trigger assembly. Mixed parts.


The front end got a gas tube that spec'd out just fine on my gauge. And the lock is the proper "high hump" design for HRA and other late-production rifles.


The gas plug. Another neat find. HRA again.


Put it all together and:


A nice representative late-production M1 rifle with mostly HRA parts.


Oh wait...there's still something missing. Can you spot what it is?

Anyone?

Bueller?
Tam?
Bueller?

Yep.


NOW it's ready for a range trip this week-end, circumstances permitting. Everything gauged good and it passes the function test. It's rock-solid tight, too. We'll see what it can do.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Murphy;

    Very nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I have a Korean War vintage M-1 with a beat up old stock. I bought a nice new stock, but then couldn't decide if I should mess with the old rifle. Putting a rifle together on your own is an impressive accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice rifle indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an Appleseed guy, I was missing the sling, then it appeared. Love those M1s. Do enjoy. Hooked up with Appleseed down there yet? I know you had bumped into them in WV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Appleseed here yet--but damn straight on the sling. A good rifle just isn't complete without one. (And I haven't forgotten how Tam called me out for a pic of one without a sling a couple years back. One damned pic out of hundreds...but she was right.)

      Delete
  6. It'll shoot :-) And well too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did always like that rear sight. Probably the best sight ever put on a military rifle. Durable, repeatable, accurate, what more could a rifleman ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wot! No pig-sticker?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea... Bayonet is what is needed. And a GI Belt with pockets for M1 clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The belts I got. Bayonets, not so much. Might need to start collecting those.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't the bolt used in the rifle have to be used to finish cutting the chamber?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. That's a USGI barrel, not a new one. Just need to check headspace.

      Delete