Monday, May 04, 2020

M-1A vs PTR-91

Yesterday I found a new (to me) range just over the Mississippi line so I went to check it out. I also got to test and sight in both new 7.62 rifles that I picked up before the Pandemic hit and closed my regular range for the duration.

This rifles: top to bottom, Springfield M-1A Scout Squad and PTR-91.
Neither has a sling yet. It was noticed during the shooting which was done at 200 yards prone from the mat. Eventually the Springfield will get an optic of some sort. The PTR will stay in it's "clean" configuration. I will cobble up some sort of sling adapter for it so I as a left-hander can carry it properly and maybe even use it as a shooting aid like on the M-1/M-1A/M-16 rifles. Both shot 7.62x51mm ammo from 20rd. box magazines.


The first glitch came when I brought out some old reloaded ammo I'd made up for a 1919A4 once upon a time. These rounds were a trifle too long for most rifle box magazines so I'd set them aside for my .308 bolt rifles. Of course they wound up back in the mix and got grabbed this morning by mistake. Dammit, I know better. The M-1A did load and fire them without a hitch. The PTR struggled to chamber a few of them because the bullet tip was right up against the forward wall of the magazine and they didn't chamber well when I'd release the bolt on the first round.

Also, that bolt/bolt handle. As a leftie...grr! When I'd slap the bolt handle down out of it's retaining slot, the bolt and handle would shoot forward and that handle would hit my right hand which was already in place of the foregrip most every time. And it moves fast and hits hard! This can be resolved with training (keep the fingers out out the way) but it wasn't happy-making. The PTR also has a stiffer, heavier trigger than the M-1A (which is almost like a competition trigger in it's lightness and smoothness) but the PTR trigger does break crisply and cleanly. Both were pleasant and enjoyable to shoot from that aspect. Both also present with very nice sight pictures and they shoulder instinctively and comfortably. Each was a joy to shoot, although the PTR's recoil was noticeably sharper with the same ammo. It wasn't unpleasant at all, it was pretty much what you'd expect from a 7.62mm cartridge. It just showed me how effective the M-1A and it's muzzle brake is at reducing felt recoil.

The sights on the M-1A are much more adjustable, and coupled with that trigger, the smoother recoil and the fact that it's charging handle wasn't busting my fingers like the PTR, I gave it the edge in shootability, although I'd be happy with either one in a pinch. Accuracy was tough to gauge because that crummy ammo was printing WAY low with both rifles, but I had no difficulty putting them all on the standard pistol silhouette in passable groups at 200 yards with both rifles.


I love them both. The M-1A was a bit better in the ergonomics and performance areas but it's also about twice the price. I'd fight with either if I needed a "go to" rifle and I endorse them both.

8 comments:

  1. nice to get back to the range, isn't it?! Glad they both worked OK - I have an HK-91 and know what you mean about it's recoil. My M1-A's are much softer shooting, although they are heavier match rifles, so there is that. But I love shooting them. Thanks for reminding me to give them some exercise before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a receiver mount for a magnified optic on the M1a, get a Bassett.

    It's easiest and least expensive way to get a picatinny rail mount on the M1a.

    https://youtu.be/BOdjYjOUFd8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the Bassett.
      As a Nuclear I&C/Digital Test Engineer, I think using the rifle's weight as a torque component for repeatability is genius!!!

      Delete
  3. FYI, there is a lightweight clamp-on optics rail designed for the HK-91 type rifles. Utilizes the oem claw mount cuts on the receiver to locate. Seems to work well. I've mounted several for a buddy on his HK's.
    I wouldn't bother with the extra long version unless you are planning on stacking NV optics with a scope.

    There is a handguard pushpin replacement with a ring for the HK type sling attachment. Has a screw with knurled nut opposite the ring to retain it. Does the job for left-handers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, try using your right hand over the barrel to smack the bolt lever. Works well for the MP-5, and does the job on the bigger guns. Also makes mag changes easier to use the right hand, since your thumb falls right on the button for the US versions. Consistent gun handling traits is a plus for the HK line.

    I've encountered a heavy recoil spring for the -91's that I suspect is intended for the use of .308 instead of the 7.62 NATO. With 7.62 it doesn't quite clear the chamber, and just stuffs the brass back in. I didn't have any .308 to check this at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:28 PM

    An economic way to mitigate recoil is to install a standard heavy buffer, and a wide buttpad. I have an HK21E buffer ($$$) in a clubfoot stock and believe me you'd have trouble deciding which rifle is softer shooting (I've got an M14 clone too).

    The PTR91 is a genuine free-float design: you can put a sling on the handguard with tension and it will not pull on the barrel.

    Now all you need is a FAL rifle and AR-10!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice set of options. ONE of these days you'll finally get rid of all that 1919 ammo... LOL Glad you finally got to the range!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have been the last of that old ammo. Most got sold with the M60. But that batch taught me the practical meaning of OAL.

      Delete