Thursday, October 16, 2008

And then there's John Brosnan, retard extraordinaire

When I used to run ambulances, I occasionally ran into some inconsiderate and self-obsessed people. I've had people scream and swear and demand that we move an ambulance out of the street so they could get by (God forbid they should have to go around the block because we were thoughtlessly caring for a heart attack victim), and I've had public housing dwellers get on an elevator where we were doing CPR and calmly push a button for another floor when we were trying to get to the lobby, but this guy wins the prize.
New London — A New London man whose vehicle was partially blocked by a fire department ambulance was arrested this morning after witnesses say he got into the emergency vehicle and drove it a couple of feet.

John Brosnan, 48, of 65 Ridgeview Circle, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, operating under suspension, interfering with police and taking a motor vehicle without the owner’s permission.

Battalion Chief Tom Curcio said the ambulance was responding to a medical call at 281 State St. The ambulance partially blocked Brosnan’s vehicle, which was illegally parked in a loading zone. The incident happened around 8:38 a.m.

Curcio said witnesses saw Brosnan get into the vehicle and drive it. The ambulance was not damaged, he said.
It's nice to see that there were apparently police close enough at hand to bust this jackass, but he's really only a visible manifestation of the indifference and hostility that many of the public show to emergency personnel on a daily basis. Most of the time it's less egregious--some fool refusing to yield right-of-way for an emergency vehicle or even stopping in front of one to make a left turn into a liquor store--but it all stems from the same "me first" attitude that many people have today. Ironically, these are the same people who like to scream "what took you so long?!" when you show up in response to their 911 call for help.

Here's hoping a judge does the right thing and gives John Brosnan a little taxpayer-financed vacation at the local graybar motel. And it's people like that who make me wish that the police could still deliver summary ass-whippings for criminal stupidity and felony thoughtlessness.

8 comments:

  1. Google "Anna Gitlin" for a similar blast from the recent past.

    One thing about the Net- if you act like a real asshole, Google remembers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have people honk and give me the finger on an almost daily basis when I stop my patrol car blocking a lane, or part of one.

    Oh, excuse the hell out of me. Let me just forget about the moron I stopped for speeding and I'll move my patrol car out of your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've had two that I can recall who have sat behind my cruiser as it's lights flashed and and blown their horns while I was clearly handling police business.

    Both of them got court dates when they insisted on berating me and arguing. I don't argue with people--I just schedule them an appointment before the judge and they can argue with him. I loved having the option of making any citation a mandatory appearance just by checking a box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for reading.. I appreciate it!

    As for this nitwit in above posting, he could have at least done it off the drugs/alcohol and with a valid license, than it just might have been a little bit better for him.. =P

    Honestly.. What was he thinking! Darwin must be on vacation because there are still too many idiots running around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:00 PM

    I'm still praying for you to revise your murderous and blasphemous ways. You should pray too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never murdered anybody. My shootings were ruled "justifiable".

    But I pray that you'll pull your head out of your ass and quit smoking dope while you've still got at least a little mental capacity left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:21 AM

    Just don't get your title. What exactly is a "retard extraordinaire?" As the mom of a special needs kid I can tell you that using the word retard to describe something exceptionally stupid just doesn't cut it with me. People with special needs are doing the best they can, can you say the same thing? Slurs hurt, even if you think people with special needs don't get it, they do. Using "retard extraordinaire" just causes pain, was that your intention?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmshore,

    you should probably grow a thicker skin and refrain from cruising the internet all night looking for people who use words in a manner that you don't approve of personally.

    Just a suggestion.

    As for me, I'll continue to call a spade a spade. I'm too old to change my ways just because other people in this day and age now go around looking for reasons to be offended.

    ReplyDelete