Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hand-me-down treasure from the yard

Uh oh...looks like Murphy's found something out in the fenced section of woods that comprises his new pen.
It's a basketball! A flat, black Spaulding basketball that Lagniappe used to cherish.
This ball was once Lagniappe's favorite yard toy. He bit a hole in it within minutes of my giving it to him years ago, but he never cared. He loved it just the way that it was, and it was easier for him to grip in that state anyway. We played fetch with it almost every day and I must have thrown that flat, muddy ball a thousand times. But Lagniappe never tired of retrieving it or just carrying it around. It was his favorite right up until the end when he could no longer run even a little bit and I had to put it up. After Lagniappe was gone, I gave it one more throw, way back off into the woods. It was the last throw, in honor of my faithful pal. And this time it remained out there, unreturned.

But now it seems that the torch--or the ball--has been passed. Murphy found it and made it his. Now younger teeth will grip that ball and the games will continue. Worry not, Lagniappe. It's in good hands--or paws--again and it's still loved.

And honestly, every time I throw it I feel as if I'm throwing it for two dogs. Still miss ya, buddy.

15 comments:

  1. Good post. You've had a good pair of dogs, and it's been fun to read about their adventures via your blog. Hope you'll keep up the free ice cream supply for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I just got a tear in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sort of makes you ponder reincarnation, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang you and your tear jerking ability to write. *Sniff, sniff*.
    We all miss Lagniappe, but Murphy is doing a pretty good job at providing material for more funny memorable posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worry not, Lagniappe. It's in good hands--or paws--again and it's still loved. Thanks for making me tear up here at the office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can one story make me cry and smile at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very poignant. The circle, er, ball of life, rolls on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all of a sudden got way dusty at our place because I was forced to do the 'girly hand flap' to keep the tears out of my eyes. Guess Lagniappe approves of Murphy and that's his way of showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang it...I was just irked with Kota and now I'm all slobbery weepy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post Murph... Memories... and a new set being built on the old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darn it, ML you made me cry. I'm glad that Murphy likes the ball though... good post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:15 AM

    I am glad you both are having fun.The story about the ball brought a tea to my eyes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post my friend! Can't wait to meet Murph!

    ReplyDelete