Monday, February 27, 2017

An unexpected find indeed.

So I'd been reading this book about Ernie Pyle.
The book had been a gift, and while I'd known a little about Pyle, it really gave me a feel for the man and the tragic side of his life as well as the heroic side we all know--the most-read and most-admired war correspondent of World War Two, if not all time.

The book started with his pre-war life, naturally, and went on to chronicle his movements with our troops as he wrote column after column for the Scripps-Howard newspapers, not about the war per se, but about the men who fought it. Pyle specialized in meeting and writing about the individual soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines that fought the war--everyone from bomber crews to rangers to ordnance corps men...but mostly the common soldiers and rarely if ever the officers.

As I read about his columns, and how much America back home loved them, I got to be wondering if anyone had ever compiled a book of them. I even thought briefly about researching them and putting something together, but then I read on and found out that there was a book of them printed, called "Here is Your War" and it was published in 1943.

After finishing this book, I decided that I wanted a copy of that book as well. I had to read these columns for myself, seventy-plus years later. But I've been busy here and hadn't gotten around to looking on-line for a copy yet. And then today, rustling around the house trying to "rest", I just found this on my book shelf:


I HAD a copy. No idea where or when I picked it up. Probably had it for years. Never even noticed it before. I have over a thousand books. This happens sometimes. But usually it's when I buy a book that looks great only to take it home and find a copy on the shelves already. This is the first time I found one that I wanted before I bought it.

Checking the publishing date inside: July, 1945.
That's just three months after Ernie Pyle, America's most beloved war correspondent, was killed by a Japanese machine gunner on the island of Ie Shima, April 18th, 1945.

11 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful find, right there. Please do a few highlights for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'll probably get it soon. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  3. I am pretty sure you will like that book. I sure did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Murphy;

    You can read that book while your convalescence from the cold/flu/ick/blah. I have done that, remember something and go looking and find it in my stash of books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, helluva read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:02 PM

    WOW Great find indeed

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read one of Ernie's books as a kid - think it was "Brave Men". My dad had been a tank company commander in WWII so I was fascinated by all the stories. Also I read "Guadalcanal Diary" by Richard Tregaskis, another classic from that era. Do you know the Willie and Joe cartoons of Bill Mauldin? Priceless. If they are publicly available, maybe drop one of those in your blog every once in a while. I can still remember a bunch of them - about tanks: "I don't know, Willie, a movin' foxhole attracts too much attention!"; when in a foxhole, Willie says to Joe (or vice versa), "Why couldn't you have been born a beautiful woman?" Etc.

    As far as not remembering things you have, I can totally relate. Was looking in my safe a while back for a receiver I had bought for an M1A, thinking I ought to get it built into a rifle before parts dried up even more than they have. Looked all over the place for it. Then realized I had already had had it built up about a year prior!

    We share a similar affinity for guns and dogs and other stuff. Have had mostly shepherds over the years, although had a Glass Eyed Catahoula Leopard Dog that was damn good and damn smart! Really sweet as well.lost her last year and our last shepherd passéd about 18 months ago. So definitely time for another one or two.

    Sorry to ramble a bit - enjoy your blog, been catching up on a lot of your old posts. Hope you're feeling better. I remember my mom talking about how getting old isn't for sissies, and I am learning what she meant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have both "Here is Your War" and "Brave Men". Would have loved to have met the man, he tended to bypass the company headquarters and head straight for the foxholes.

    ReplyDelete