Saturday, April 09, 2022

Going forward





 I was doing ok this morning until I went out to the car and saw her empty collar lying on the seat. Then I lost it. She was my special girl  


I’ve still got Murphy though. He’s two years older than Belle and he’s been in decline for a while, hence my lack of posting about him recently. I’ve been expecting him to go for a while now. I’d been counting on Belle to help me get through that when the time came. But now she’s gone and he’s still here, helping me get through that. 
He misses his sister though, and it shows. 
But he’s still on the job, surveying his new domain out here. We just had a short walk in the desert, just the two of us, and I realize how much I love and value him too. 






Merida is here too of course, but she’s a different little dog  I love her just as much, but she’s no Shepherd defender of the realm. What she is though is a cuddler and a smuggler and I’ll admit I need that right now  


Ain’t gonna lie. Today’s hard  but I’ll get past it, just like I did when Lagniappe left  I know God just loans me these dogs for a while and eventually He’s going to take them all back.  If I’m good, I’ll see them again. Meantime I’m grateful for the nine wonderful years Belle was in my life.

And I’ll resume posting again, in her honor as well as the others  I hadn’t realized anyone was still reading these until yesterday and the outpouring of support. These are your dogs too, and I’ll do better from now on.




13 comments:

  1. Murph-You love and value your companions as much as anyone I've ever seen. And that shows in your postings. We'll be glad to share all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://gunfreezone.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/define-heaven.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like going on patrol in the middle of nowhere with your dog at your side. It's a communion of souls. And when they're gone, they leave of piece of themselves with you to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, more are reading than you know. I am one of those "lurkers", who rarely comment. Currently 2 rescues, Sugar and Cooper with me. I have had my losses. Always tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we're allowed the privilege of the unadulterated love of the dogs who come into our lives, but the time is all too short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are the best of companions, it hurts when they leave. Condolences, Belle deserved the highest of accolades, she was a good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry you lost Belle. You were special to her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry that you've lost your Belle. I have a 16 yo rescue and know the sand in her hour glass is flowing to a close. We love your dogs and while most of us don't 'know' them they are part of our internet lives. We enjoy the post and pictures of your canine companions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry.

    I haven't cried since my Mother died... But a fellow Shep lover loosing a trusted companion...

    Be of Peace and Strength.

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://img.ifunny.co/images/eadcc2967ea735dfa3e906fc8e62d6ec928d17b6423a3b38b245f6eaf59b2c9d_1.webp Worth looking at, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there. You've got my number if you want to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, my wife wants to rehome our puppy - https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/34158564-richardson-texas-labrador-retriever

    He's a great dog, in those pics the white dog in the background is his mom - a husky/shepherd. His dad is a purebred lab.

    Lot of info here https://inspectedbypat.com/category/dogs/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, it sucks and it hurts, but you know each day brings a bit less hurt and a bit more peace. Hang in there man, we are all here for you if and when you need support.

    ReplyDelete