Sunday, March 16, 2008

What does it take to be a winner?

Well I got a good idea yesterday. It was a cold, rainy day here. The temperature was around 40 degrees and the drizzly rain and wind was the sort of weather that just chilled you to the bone. I had to go into town to run a few errands, and as I was on the way back, I passed a local church that hosts soccer practice on week-ends. I didn't figure anyone would be out there in that weather but to my surprise, there were dozens of kids out there in their soccer shorts, running and kicking soccer balls. They had to be just miserable out there, but they were practicing nonetheless. And I was struck by the fact that these kids are winners. They've got what it takes to be out working at their craft and going the extra distance when many if not most of their contemporaries were sitting at home watching TV. That's the sort of extra drive that it takes to triumph and I have to think that if they can do it for soccer, most of these kids can apply that sort of effort to other challenges they encounter in life.

You go, kids. And cheers to the parents that took their kids out and cheered them on in that nasty weather. You set a great example, both to your kids and to a guy and his dog who just happened to be driving by.

1 comment:

  1. My JV Baseball coach in High School had us out when there was still snow on the ground in the spring (albeit in the parking lot with the rubber-coated baseballs) Batting practice in 30-degree weather was painful if you didn't hit the ball right smack in the middle, let me tell you!

    Later that year we were also practicing in the pouring rain (with lightning flashing all around us and our aluminum bats!)

    But you know - we won our league that year.

    ReplyDelete