Friday, September 05, 2008

Flying, flying...

I went flying today, mainly just to keep my proficiency up. It was a nice, if breezy, day so I went out to shoot some touch-and-go landings and play with my turns around a point--always fun when there's a good wind aloft.

And while I was up, I saw some neat things. Here's a World War Two-era T-6 Texan on the apron at Winchester, Virginia. Probably getting ready for the Martinsburg, WV airshow in two weeks.Here's some C-5 Galaxy transports on the ground at Martinsburg, over on the Air National Guard side of the field. Talk about huge. They're 247 feet long, have a wingspan of 222 feet, and stand 65 feet tall. They can carry a payload of 270,000 pounds and have 28 tires on their landing gear to handle the weight of cargo and aircraft, which at wartime maximum is 840,000 pounds. (That's 4200 tons that can FLY!) And it can fly. Maximum airspeed is 518mph, and thanks to it's in-flight refueling capability, it can stay aloft as long as the crew can stand it. As of April, 2008, the government owns 111 of them (I think 9 of them were here today) at a cost of $179,000,000 each. If they aren't the largest cargo/passenger aircraft that flies today, I'm sure that someone can correct me.Also on the field were a few Marine Corps CH-53 heavy helicopters that had just come up from North Carolina to get out of the way of approaching Hurricane Hanna. Sorry that I couldn't get better shots. I was trying to fly a plane at the same time.

All of that prime airpower sure put my little Cessna 172 in perspective!

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day for flying! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Russians have two larger cargo planes in service. The Antonov An-124 and An-225 are both larger than the C-5.

    There are more C-5's in existence though, so that has to count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:50 PM

    Thank-You for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! I also loved your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:02 PM

    When are we gonna go flying?hahahaha (And only if you drive the plane like the crop dusters do, then I'll go up with ya.) That's pretty cool that you fly planes. If you have said so on your blog earlier then I'm sorry cuz I'm new to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I fly planes. And I fly 'em low, especially when the ladies approve. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:01 AM

    There's nothing like watching those crop dusters flying. I would love a ride with em but I guess insurance purposes won't allow it. Major bummer!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Nice pics. Those C-5's look like they're hovering when they fly over ya. Our local airport is long enough for them to practice almost anything at and they do.
    The Heli's are lovely, but never underestimate a 172.

    ReplyDelete